- Pedestrian accidents can cause severe injuries and damages, making hiring a pedestrian accident lawyer a very good decision.
- Unsafe driving behavior, including distracted driving, speeding, failure to yield, and drunk driving, contribute significantly to pedestrian accidents.
- Pedestrian accidents result in various injuries with life-altering consequences, leading to substantial medical bills and often causing emotional trauma and long-term disability.
- WHG specializes in personal injury cases, providing thorough investigation, evidence gathering, negotiation with insurance companies, lawsuits, courtroom representation, and securing compensation for damages.
- Criteria for selecting the best pedestrian accident lawyers include specialization, credentials, reviews, past case results, communication skills, and customer service.
- Following traffic laws, avoiding distractions, crossing in safe areas, and staying vigilant can significantly reduce pedestrian accident risks.
Table of Contents
Pedestrian accidents—often resulting from negligent or reckless behavior by drivers–can have severe consequences for pedestrians, causing life-altering injuries and long-term trauma. A pedestrian accident lawyer is crucial in the aftermath.
At Werner, Hoffman & Greig, we have a team of specialized personal injury lawyers ready to help you. We understand what victims of pedestrian accidents are going through, and we’ll be in your corner through this difficult time. Insurance companies look out for their bottom line, and you should have someone looking out for you—while you focus on recovering.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents are often caused by unsafe driving behaviors, such as:
- Distracted driving: Modern drivers are exposed to more distractions than ever. Smartphones and infotainment systems draw their attention and take their eyes off the road. Distractions can also include talking, eating, or daydreaming.
- Speeding and reckless driving: Drivers engaging in speeding and other reckless driving behavior, especially in pedestrian-dense areas, can increase the risk of pedestrian accidents. When a driver speeds, they reduce their ability to react to abrupt changes in the flow of traffic, such as a pedestrian crossing the street.
- Failure to yield: Pedestrians have right-of-way at crosswalks and intersections. Motorists failing to yield to pedestrians or otherwise not following traffic laws is a significant cause of accidents.
- Drunk driving: Operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol can limit reaction time and encourage reckless behavior, leading to a higher risk of pedestrian accidents. In 2021, alcohol was a factor in nearly half of all fatal pedestrian accidents.
Injuries Sustained by Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrians can sustain a variety of injuries in an accident, some of which can have life-altering consequences.
Common Types of Pedestrian Accident Injuries
- Soft tissue injuries: Bruises, sprains, and strains may seem less severe than some other common pedestrian injuries, but they can still cause significant pain and discomfort.
- Broken bones and fractures: Pedestrians often sustain broken bones and fractures when being hit by a motor vehicle. Broken bones can range from simple hairline fractures to complex full breaks; some of these can heal on their own and others will require surgery.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): Head injuries are particularly concerning in pedestrian accidents, as they can lead to cognitive impairments and other forms of long-term disability. The most common brain injuries are concussions, diffuse axonal injury, and epidural, subdural, and intra-cerebral hematomas.
- Spinal cord injuries: Injuries to the spine can lead to partial or total paralysis, significantly impacting the victim’s quality of life.
- Internal injuries: From punctured organs to ruptured blood vessels, hidden dangers lurk beneath the surface.
- Psychological trauma: Fear, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress – the emotional scars that can run deep.
Long-Term Impact of Injuries
Pedestrian accident injuries can have a profound and long-term impact on victims. Some injuries are extremely painful, recovery can be difficult, and victims can suffer long-term or permanent disability.
Medical bills and long-term rehabilitation can be expensive, and the financial strain is significant, particularly if the victim’s ability to work is affected.
Emotional and Psychological Trauma
In addition to physical injuries, emotional and psychological trauma often accompany these injuries, and can lead to anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
How Werner, Hoffman & Greig Can Help You
At Werner, Hoffman & Greig, we understand the challenges faced by pedestrian accident victims. Our dedicated team of personal injury lawyers is committed to helping our clients navigate the legal complexities of their cases.
Here’s how we can help you.
Investigating the Accident
Our experienced legal team will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your pedestrian accident. We’ll collect documentation, review evidence, and interview witnesses to establish fault and liability.
To build a strong case on your behalf, we’ll look at several types of evidence, including accident reports, surveillance footage, witness statements, and medical records.
Negotiating with Insurance Companies
Insurance companies will try to minimize payouts to maximize their bottom line, but we will negotiate on your behalf to make sure that you receive a fair settlement. All your injuries and damages will be considered.
Filing Your Lawsuit
If a fair settlement can’t be reached through negotiation, we’ll file a lawsuit on your behalf. We’re familiar with the complexities of the legal system and can take care of the details.
Representing You in Court if Necessary
After we file your lawsuit, our team of experienced personal injury lawyers is prepared to take your case to court. If necessary, we’ll present evidence and argue the case on your behalf.
Receiving Compensation for Your Pedestrian Accident Damages
At WHG, our goal is to make sure you get the compensation you deserve. We aim to secure compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- And more
The amount of compensation you receive depends on a variety of different factors, but we’ll work hard to ensure that you get the most for your damages.
How to Choose the Right Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
To represent you after a pedestrian accident, you’re looking for a personal injury lawyer who specializes in the field. Check their credentials to ensure they’re properly qualified.
Reviews and past case results can demonstrate their expertise, especially in your needs. You should also assess their communication skills and make sure they’re someone you can work with.
Finally, make sure you understand their fee structure so there are no unpleasant surprises down the line. Most pedestrian accident lawyers work on a contingency fee structure. At WHG, we don’t get paid unless you do.
Tips for Pedestrian Safety
In 2021, over 7,000 pedestrians were killed and over 60,000 pedestrians were injured in collisions. Accidents happen, but here are some tips for pedestrians to stay as safe as possible.
- Obey all posted signs and traffic laws.
- Avoid using distracting devices while walking on public roads.
- Limit alcohol use while walking.
- Use designated crosswalks to cross the street.
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Try to make eye contact with any nearby drivers.
Contact Werner, Hoffman & Greig to Speak with an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney After Your Accident
You can count on Werner, Hoffman & Greig whenever you or a loved one are involved in a pedestrian accident. We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll these accidents can take, and we have a proven track record of securing compensation for our victims. Don’t hesitate to reach out to discuss your case and explore your legal options. We’re here to advocate for your rights.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do immediately after a pedestrian accident?
After an accident, your immediate priority should be seeking medical attention, even if you don’t think you’re seriously injured. Contact law enforcement to file an accident report and, if possible, collect information from witnesses and take photos of the scene. It’s also a great idea to get in touch with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as you can.
How long do I have to file a pedestrian accident claim?
The statute of limitations for filing a pedestrian accident claim varies from state to state. Contact an attorney as soon as possible after an accident to make sure you’re in full compliance with any time limits.
What if I was potentially at fault for my pedestrian accident?
Even if you believe you may have contributed to your accident, don’t panic. You could still be entitled to compensation. Comparative negligence laws exist in many states, allowing victims to recover damages even if they were partially at fault. An experienced pedestrian accident lawyer can assess your case and determine the best way to proceed.