- Workers’ compensation is designed to help injured workers pay for medical treatment and avoid financial problems, but their claims are frequently challenged.
- A workers’ compensation attorney can help you recover the maximum compensation you’re entitled to, even if your employer or their insurance provider denies your claim.
- Your attorney can help gather evidence, file paperwork, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent you in court.
- The team at Werner, Hoffman & Greig is ready to fight for your workers’ compensation claim.
When you’re injured on the job, the first thing on your mind is getting that injury treated. Unfortunately, your workplace accident may be the beginning of a complicated and frustrating legal battle.
Workers’ compensation is crucial for injured workers, but the legal framework is difficult to navigate. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney can help you file a successful claim and, if necessary, defend it.
How Does Workers’ Compensation Work?
Workers’ compensation is a type of insurance that protects injured workers from medical bills and wage losses. It helps you get your injury treated and take time to recover, without suffering from financial ruin as a result.
Workers’ comp benefits include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Disability benefits
- Death benefits
Filing a Claim
It’s usually pretty straightforward to file a workers’ compensation claim.
- You report your injury to your employer
- You receive medical treatment
- Your employer reports the injury to their insurance provider
- The insurance company provides the benefits you deserve
This may sound simple, and it can be–if everything goes exactly right. Unfortunately, that doesn’t always happen. That’s when you get in touch with a lawyer.
Responsibilities of a Workers’ Compensation Attorney
So, what does a workers’ compensation attorney do?
Their expert knowledge of workers’ compensation laws and regulations can help your case from beginning to end.
Filing a Claim
The way you file your claim can make a big difference in its overall success. The better documentation you can include in your initial report to your employer, the better.
A workers’ compensation attorney can help you gather evidence like medical records and accident reports, helping you file the strongest claim possible.
After your injury, it’s important to seek treatment from a doctor or medical facility that the insurance provider has approved. You also may struggle to get all of the medical care you need to fully treat your injury.
Working with a workers’ compensation attorney helps ensure that you get the proper treatment for your injury and that the treatment will be fully covered by workers’ compensation insurance.
When you’re trying to recover from a serious workplace injury, it can be difficult to wade through workers’ compensation rules and figure out exactly what kind of benefits you can claim from your employer’s insurance provider.
A workers’ compensation attorney can explain the different types of benefits available, and negotiate on your behalf with the insurance companies to make sure you’re treated fairly.
Hearings and Appeals
This is the most important reason to work with a workers’ compensation lawyer. Over half of all workers’ compensation claims in Florida are denied.
If your claim is denied, it’s not over – there’s always the appeals process. However, appealing is much more complicated than the initial claims filing.
The help of an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer is crucial when you’re appealing denied claims and negotiating settlements, and in the event of a hearing, your attorney can represent you in court.
Benefits of Hiring a Workers’ Compensation Attorney
Overall, working with the right attorney can be a key factor in the success of your workers’ compensation claim. An experienced workers’ compensation lawyer can assist your case by:
- Improving your chances of success with your initial claim
- Increasing the amount of compensation you are likely to receive
- Reducing your stress levels as you recover from your injury
- Appealing more effectively if your claim is denied
- Representing you in court if necessary
Werner, Hoffman & Grieg is Ready to Help With Your Workers’ Compensation Claim
A workers’ compensation attorney, like the team at Werner, Hoffman & Greig, can make a crucial difference for your claim. Our knowledge and experience can help you defend your rights and win the compensation you need to heal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I really need a workers’ compensation attorney?
You may not need a workers’ compensation attorney, especially if your claim is very straightforward and your injuries are not severe. However, an attorney can help you build a more successful claim and win a more substantial settlement.
You should always consider working with a workers’ compensation lawyer, especially if:
- Your employer has downplayed your injuries or denied they happened at work
- Your injuries are particularly severe
- Your workplace accident has caused a disability
- Your initial claim has been disputed or denied
How do I choose the right workers’ compensation attorney?
Look for an attorney with specific experience in workers’ compensation. Seek recommendations from friends and family. Schedule consultations with different attorneys, like the team at Werner, Hoffman & Greig, and see if they’re the right fit for your needs.
Can I choose my own doctor for workers’ compensation medical treatment?
Your employer’s insurance provider must approve the doctor you see to treat your workplace injury. You may have some opportunities to request to change doctors, depending on your case.
A workers’ compensation attorney can make sure the doctor you visit is taking care of your needs, and give you as many options as possible.